Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Melburnian -16/01/2011

.



Melburnian
on sunny holiday
cross legged
lone bench
by harbour

"Hot day ‘ey"
and a big smile
as a big fella
with an ice cream
approaches
my bench

re-evaluate suddenly
situation
recall
a misunderstood comment
on a rooftop
back in Nepal
things got awkward
wrong signals sent
in foreign country
cross legs a signal here?
park bench?
signal
have I been signalling
-or signalling by not openly signalling-
don’t know
I need a signal
um… am not gay
but I don’t say
that
openly

"ah yeah
"
stammers my voice back
he nods, still smiling
has all his teeth
think I’m grinning
not sure
don’t move

gets closer
his other hand
holds ice-cream wrapper
reaches up
puts it in bin
next to the bench

where’d that come from?

he nods
to me
walks off
from me
still smiling

to himself

oh
and never mind
sky-written on my eyes
confusion clearing
as my comfort zone
expands back to all I survey
where unless
you’re a turn on
annoying
a cause for anger
might have directions
or you’re a guy with a lighter
I don’t have to
notice you
articulate enjoyment
or smile
or

anything

now
can relax
almost
feel at ease
almost
at home
back in Melbourne.

though now
I want ice cream
too.

what an arsehole
that guy was

you know,



for putting the idea in my head.





________________________



dedicated to all my (less than) fair weather, black trench coat pale skin milk crate-sittin'-on, late 'cause of the tram and then got rained on leftist latte sippin' metro art freak home-before-1am mates





-Peace








.

No comments: