Thursday, April 15, 2010

By Calvin Klein (Obsession) -15/12/2010

(co-written by Kim Lajoie)


Air blown around this filthy room
to the beat
of this wobbling fan

Until I sound like Jazz improv
but not quite as cool
minus the band

Until you're scared of me
or more accurately -
scared of yourself, believing me
come now and see
play along listen to my plan
and you’ll understand

We’ll bust our brains
on the biggest broken heart eating competition
ever
wrestling our arms
with our feet in our mouths
my head up my arse and your tongue
severed

Binge drinking
deep thinking
staring, scar-comparing glaring overbearing
arm wrestling comps
'cause I’ll win ‘em all
to win you back
to get you back

to
get
you
back…

For that night I spent trying to make you swoon
must have said four million things about the moon
all original and new
for you
I tried to re-frame the sky
painting tears onto your eyes
mouthing all the required lies
to make you gooey between the thighs

Said to you four million things
about the moon
but didn't end up saying anything
or saying anything you wanted to hear
anytime soon
or anytime later
I've got no idea
what you wanted to hear
or what there was to say
so kinda in denial
with no
sense of what my purpose is
I nodded along awhile
for show
like animals in circus’

But now
I have
something
else…

I want to show you
my old canvas bag
kept secret
from the millions of minions
canvassing dead ends of live conversations
from nations of nature and nurture
that hates you and hurts you

It’s filled
with your discarded crap
spilled makeup
the corpse of a rat
semen stains on paper planes
that never flew
of course you knew

I could smell it on your perfume
your skid marks
and your thrown-out food
intermingled in this bag
with that moon you’ll never have

Embarrassments to carpet a life
to upholster the truth and paint it in lies
coloured so green that envy looks white
and layered so thick that day becomes night

Revealing it
will spew
some

Shit!

I’m gonna pin it to your personal space
invading your untroubled face
and everyone can have a taste
from deadbeat losers to straight-laced
from city slickers to country-based
white supremist to every race
from technophobes to kids in haste
longhand writers to cut and paste

Everyone will wear my insides
everyone will know me
everyone will be your ex
and know about our story

And this is going to be our song
But only I
can sing it
and even though I've got no tune
I'll just have to
go ahead


and wing it.



___________________________________________

"By Calvin Klein" is my contribution to the Obsession project, and the first song I've ever written. I've very very happy with what Kim has ended up doing with it. If you'd like to hear what this sounds like, there's two ways. Firstly, assuming you're on facebook go to: http://www.facebook.com/obsession2010 where you can hear this and the other Obsession songs for free, and find out more about the Obsession project.
The second way to hear it, is to come down to the East Brunswick hotel on Thursday May 6th to see perform this live with a five-piece band. I'll also be having a crack at Geoff Lemon's Kissless that night also.







-Peace

.

No comments: