Thursday, October 28, 2010

TWO SHELLS –(redux) 29/10/2010

.


I'm glad that you're glad that I'm here

it was one of those
odd
one in one thousand
-odds
sort of things

we were just eggs
once
amongst thousands
of the hopeful hopeless
living lives unfertilised
waiting exposed
coasting lines
fighting random chance
the fickleness of beach sands
as a cradle
and the lap
of every wave
that did not want us


we
have hard shells


and we've held
vulnerabilities
moist
within ourselves
scaled up our skin
kept wet this way
well plated
to stay safe

only in coming together
in crossing that distance
could we trace shapes
of the faintest footprints
leading to where the land
will become a liquid
and slowly away
from shore
tides taking us out
into new realms
to explore

now

we can
learn to ocean-swim
I can
teach you my smile
you can
show me how to dive
we can
make bubbles underwater

I will
fish for your compliments
watch schools of tiny creatures
almost invisible
go scatter around our legs

we’ll float on our backs
cast shadows below
only looking back
to avoid
the occasional speedboat
buoy
or other human garbage

watch me attack waves
with my flippered limbs
splashing around like an idiot
you can show me ways
to breathe
out here
just beyond shallow

we will
lose
the smudged shore line
forget
where I left my things
get
salty all over
tread
the clear water
prune
this pale skin
find
where our fins
won't scrape the bottom
come
right out of our shells
bold
daring depths to make us cold

now we know
depths down below
know it deep
that there’s life
(there is life)
out there
in distance
liquid
and it’s fragile
and colourful and poisonous
and fast and deadly dangerous
and it was ours
for a few hours
before our darwinian amphibian swim
had to come
back in

for
sure
inspite what we learnt
we become reserved

because still
we know deeper down
when back on dry ground
we’ll need then

these hard shells



once again.




_______________________________




-Peace





.

No comments: