Monday, August 16, 2010

Under The Cover$: a long-winded and smug thank you letter -17/08/2010

.

In the aftermath of the event, there's a lot of people deserving my appreciation and gratitude.

Firstly thanks to all who came. As well as the regular poetry stalwarts keeping it all going, it was great to see new faces and some others I hadn't in a while. Without you there's no show, no energy or communication, and nothing for me to learn.

Michael Reynolds, you're amazing! Thanks for giving my friends and I the gig, and the latitude to pull off the event they way we needed to. Your good-natured exuberance, dedication, patience and enthusiasm are as much an inspiration as anything you allowed us to present.

My collaborators and good friends Santo Cazatti, Alex Scott, Meaghan Bell and Steve Smart, thanks for your time, energy, ideas and commitment. Each of you has the distinction of not only being a fine poet but you're all also really nice people that I enjoy working with, you added a flavour to the night that was like sugar to my shitty instant coffee, making it palatable enough for consumption. Thank you.

Bill Juers and the video crew, thanks for taking an interest in the event and filming it, having you guys there made us all raise the bar that little bit higher, and I can't wait to see the results. And from the same clan m'man Matt Juers ~ thanks for you brilliant photography, you nailed it, as you always do.

To all the contributing artists: James, Jon, Emily, Geoff, Amelia, Alex, Samantha, Dan and Steve, who were kind enough to give me permission to use your work, I am indebted and delighted. Thank you for sharing with the world, and we're all better off for it.



So what's next?

Bringing the ideas of last night to completion, continuing the proliferation of these people's wonderful words, I'm putting together a two-part blog profiling each of the individuals' work I used, enabling you to go further... I'd hoped to have it all done in time for this, but oh well, just keep watching this space.

After our touring wraps up for this year, there'll be an album launch for the live-tour CD Smarty and I are currently working on, sometime in December.


Every feature I/we have done at the regular readings in Melbourne I've turned into a highly-promoted circus, a bloated sprawling mess of paper and foul language at late hours, and I stand by the results. I believe these things can and should be treated as events, as entertainment. In doing so I have pissed off some people, and I intend to piss off a lot more people, for a long time to come yet.

Be healthy and happy, vital and vocal. Thank you.



-Randall $tephens
August 2010











.

No comments: